The history of Cirauqui has been linked to the Camino de Santiago for ever, which makes it heir of a great tradition of jacobean hospitality.
Fifty metres from our albergue, in the San Román street, a pilgrims hospital existed. Today this historical stone building, which belongs to the city, is in the process of rehabilitation. It’s projected to become a museum and have some rooms for lectures, school, sports and cultural activities.
This old pilgrim’s hospital has been known to have been offered by the City for rent, as stated in a document from the municipal archives, from 1572, where it was established that it should have “enough, clean beds in the house for the passers-by, as well as Straw for the horses and mules”, as well as the “prohibition to place any beds on the floor”.
Besides the Church of “Santa Catalina” from the XIIIth century, another one of its historial heritages is to be found just in front of our albergue: the Fortress-Church of “San Román”, from around the year 1200. This church, along with the one of “Santiago el Mayor” from Puente la Reina and the one of “San Pedro de la Rua” in Estella, are the only churches of the Way of Saint James with a big, muslim-influenced, multi-lobed arch in its door-way.
You may like to know that in our neighboring church, among other stone-carved representations, a mermaid can be found in the doorway frame.
Cirauqui’s area was romanized, as proved by the ceramic remains found, as well as the baptismal Font and the remains of a Roman road and Roman bridge, both of which are to this day part of the Camino path in the way out of the village.
Currently Cirauqui is a modern town of about 500 inhabitants with all the basic, needed services, and which maintains alive its history with an interesting heritage, cultura and enology.